Two face court after massive drug bust in Antigua

DrugBustArtworkAST JOHN’S Antigua (CMC) – Two people, including a 41-year-old Guyanese-born woman, are due to appear in Antigua court on Friday after the Office of National Drug and Money Laundering Control Policy (ONDCP) said it had seized more than EC$17 million in illegal drugs earlier this week.

The ONDCP, which described the seizure of 480 kilos of cocaine as the largest in the Caribbean in recent times, said that a 41-year-old Antiguan man had also been detained in connect with the bust.

“This recent success follows the seizure of approximately 2300 pounds of cannabis that carried an estimated street value of EC $37 million and the arrest of the Jamaican crew comprising of six (devil) men who are presently awaiting trial in the High Court,” the ONDCP said in a statement.

“This seizure represents the single largest seizure of cocaine by Caribbean Law Enforcement agencies in recent times. In 2010, the ONDCP then seized over 900 kilos of cocaine from three Columbian men and one Venezuelan man. At the conclusion of the trial the captain of the vessel received 14 years imprisonment and a record fine of EC $385.6 million,” the statement added.

Prime Minister Gaston Brown, in congratulating the agency on the latest seizure, has reaffirmed his new administration’s zero tolerance policy as it relates to issues of drug trafficking, and related crimes.

ONDCP director Edward Croft said he was pleased with the agency’s work particularly over the past six months, noting it is often underestimated, the commitment and the amount of work that must be undertaken by ONDCP officers and other Law Enforcement agencies to realize success.

You might also like More from author