Andrew E Weekes, The Cricket Umpire has passed on

ZIZ News…Jan 19, 2013 — Another outstanding sports person from St. Kitts has passed on to the great beyond. According to family members he died on Saturday quietly at his home after a long illness.

Andrew Emanuel Weekes was born at Fahie’s Estate on June 25th 1940.

He spent his Primary School days at St Pauls, before completing his formal education at the Sandy Point Senior School.

After graduating in 1957, he began his teaching career at the age of seventeen (17) at the Old Road Government School, and then the Verchild’s All-Age School.

Andrew was then transferred to the St. Paul’s All-Age School, before going to teach Mathematics at the Convent High School (now the Immaculate Conception Catholic School [ICCS]) in 1969, where he stayed until he retired in 1997.

He humorously recalled his first day as a teacher, dressed in short pants with knee-high socks.

He served as a Scouts Master for the Sandy Point and Old Road Catholic Scouts Troupe for more than five (5) years.

Andrew served on the Committee for both the Sandy Point Hard Courts and the Old Sandy Point Recreation Ground.

He also served as a Presiding Officer for general elections for many many years.

You didn’t win too many arguments with him if he shared a different point of view.

He was a philosopher, a role model, a mentor, a historian.

He was always a very quiet and unassuming individual. He would be around and you would never really know.

Andrew loved:

1. Playing dominoes
2. Reading, in particular western, classics and mysteries
3. Listening to Calypso, Religious and Country & Western Music
4. Watching movies
5. Umpiring and refereeing cricket, football and dominoes
6. Teaching and
7. Helping other.

He started playing cricket as an all-rounder for Crab Hill in the 1950’s, then later for St. Anne in the 50’s & 60’s, and Sandy Point from the late 50’s to late 60’s.

He was awarded a camera for taking a hat-trick with his off breaks against Old Road in the 60’s.

He played football as an inside-right for Eagles in the 1950’s, Carlisle in the 50’s & 60’s, and Sandy Point in the 50’s & 60’s.

He was a football referee from the 1960’s until 1978.

He started umpiring in the local league in Sandy Point in the 50’s.

While a teacher at the Convent High School, with the help of Mr. Calvin Wilkin, he was invited to sit the West Indies Cricket Umpires Association’s (WICUA) Final Written Exam in July 1978.

He received the invitation the day before the exam, thus he only had less than twenty four (24) hours to prepare for it.

He sat it at the SL Horsfords & Company Limited Board/Conference Room, and was successful.

With this success, four (4) months later in November ’78, with the assistance of the same Mr. Wilkins, he travelled to Antigua where he successful sat the WICUA Oral & Practical Exam.

He may very well be:

1. the only umpire to be fully qualified (sitting & passing both exams), in one year (four [4] months actually), and
2. the last as well.

Having passed the WICUA Oral & Practical exam, he was then the first (1st) qualified cricket umpire from St. Kitts and was thus eligible to umpire Regional First Class matches, (Shell-Shield matches then), One Day Internationals (ODI), Test Matches & World Cup Cricket.

He started umpiring LI tournament matches in 1979.

He umpired in his first 1st Class (Shell Shield) match in 1980 and three (3) years later in 1983, he made his debut in the ODI arena in Trinidad.

You might also like