Nevis Cricket Association not to blame says Marshall
|President of Nevis Cricket Association
ZIZ Sports…June 14 2012 — Cricket chief on Nevis Sterling Marshall-Heyliger is adamant that the Nevis Cricket Association cannot be blamed for the fact that the scheduled match between Antigua-Barbuda and Nevis was not played as scheduled starting on Wednesday 13th June.
Some cricket fans showed up at the ET Willet Park on Wednesday only to be informed that the Antigua-Barbuda team had not shown up for the encounter.
In an exclusive interview conducted with NTV sports after 11pm on Wednesday night, Marshall read from a correspondence forwarded to him from President of LICA, Gregory Shillingford which originated from Enoch Lewis, President of the Antigua-Barbuda Cricket Association. In summary, the communiqué which was sent on Tuesday after 5pm indicated that the Antigua-Barbuda team was not going to show up in Nevis for the match. No reasons were given but reference was made to a ‘previous conversation.’
However, Marshall indicated that there was no official correspondence to indicate that the match was officially called off and therefore the Nevis team was instructed to show up at the Park, ready to play just in case.
He noted that he was informed that the Antigua -Barbuda team may have had some issues with incurring extra costs in coming over to Nevis but does not want to be quoted on that. He stated that he also sent proposals for the visiting team to stay at one or two Community Centers, as approved by the Ministry of Sports, but got no response to that proposal.
Marshall further indicated that a report on the situation has been submitted to the President of LICA, Mr. Gregory Shillingford which is indicating that members of the Nevis team were at the Park ready to play and requesting that the points be awarded to the Nevis team. He has also forwarded a bill for costs incurred which includes pitch preparation and preparation of meals etc.
He also indicated that the Anguilla team had originally had some issues with making the trip to Nevis but noted that the Anguilla team will indeed be coming to Nevis for the scheduled encounter and that will commence on Sunday 17th June. Nevis will have one more game and that will be versus St.Kitts at the ET Willet Park. The actual dates will be confirmed shortly.
As to his reason for not being at the Park at 10 am Wednesday, Marshall indicated that he had a previously scheduled meeting with his employers NEVLEC but that he had already put everything in place and did not have to be physically present in order for things to proceed.
The NCA President was obviously stung by remarks made by sports enthusiast, Ras Muntu who indicated on NTV sports that ‘some people only take positions for positions sake.’ Marshall was quick to point out that the members of his Association all worked as volunteers with much personal sacrifice. ‘See, it’s already after 11pm and am just getting to go home he said. It’s because I love the sport and want to see Nevis at the top of the game why I make the sacrifices that I do. My Association cannot be blamed for what happened. We tried our very best to make sure that the game was played,’ he said.