The DEL’s Lead Stoney Grove to Legend’s Cup Triumph

Champions Brand Slybo Stoney Grove in a huddle

ZIZ Sports…February 1, 2010 – Two ‘Del’s’ played significant roles in leading the Brand Slybo Stoney Grove Strikers to victory in the Legend’s cup series of Football matches played over the weekend. On Saturday night – 30th January, it was DEL-von Clarke who starred for the Stoney Grove team in pouring rain to help his team to a ‘come from behind’ victory versus a threatening Villa Int United team.

Manager John Guilbert of the Villa Team was jubilant as his team led out with the goal scoring but Delvon Clarke was superb in the latter stages of the game as he converted a hat trick much to the jubilation of the Stoney Grove fans.

The end result was a convincing 5 goals to 3 margin as the Villa team was left to ponder what they had done wrong. This effectively let the Stoney Grove team into the finals.

Bath United – Legends cup runners up

Prior to that game, Bath managed to escape a stranglehold from the Combined School boys who at one point had them 2 goals to 1. Bath however responded like the champion team they are and by the end of the rain affected game, the previously jubilant schoolboys were the ones left out in the cold with the final score line 3 goals to 2 as the Bath team not only equalized at 2-all but put in a critical additional goal to seal the issue.

There was no rain on Sunday 31st January for the grand finals and a small but vocal crowd witnessed a tremendous final game between the Stoney Grove Strikers and the Bath United teams.

Bath was off and running with a quick strike within the first few minutes of the game but a pumped up Stoney Grove team was quick to respond from the boot of the other ‘DEL’-this time the fleet footed striker, Delroy Arthurton. He pumped the air and ran to the far corner in celebration.

Malcolm George Ramsey – hard working football official and sportscaster

With seconds to go in the game it seemed headed for an overtime call and ultimately a penalty kick off when there was a bungle in front of the Bath goal and Delroy Arthurton leaped and pummeled the ball into the back of the net with a superb header. The Bath team got the ball settled quickly, looking for a speedy response, only to hear the shrilly whistle of the referee, like a death toll, signaling the end of the game.

Slybo Stoney Grove Strikers winning the hard fought encounter 2 goals to 1 and thus lifting the Legend’s cup for yet another year.

You might also like