Are we prepared for hurricane season?

Basseterre, St. Kitts, May 31, 2019 (ZIZ News): The hurricane season officially begins on Saturday, June 1 and runs until Saturday, November 30.

NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is predicting that a near-normal Atlantic hurricane season is most likely this year, showing a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.

However, despite the near normal reading, the St. Kitts Meteorological Services is encouraging the public to be prepared ahead of the season.

During a brief interview with ZIZ, Meteorological Officer at the St. Kitts Met Office, Denver Martin said despite this forecast, the public should continue paying attention to weather updates as the season progresses as a safety precaution.

The National Hurricane Centre has also predicted 9 to 15 named storms, adding that 4 to 8 could become hurricanes and 2 to 4 major hurricanes.

Major hurricanes have caused horrific tragedies and can damage homes and properties severely.

ZIZ spoke with Client Assistant in the Client Relations and Marketing Department, Dominic Matthew who explained why it is necessary to start collecting Hurricane supplies before it is too late.

NOAA’s Climate Prediction Centre will update the 2019 Atlantic seasonal outlook in August prior to the historical peak of the season.

For more information, a hurricane supplies checklist will be posted on our ZIZ Facebook and Instagram pages and our website at www.zizonline.com.

You might also like