Drivers License Regulations For CARICOM Citizens

Basseterre, St. Kitts, 17th March, 2023–Citizens of CARICOM Member states outside of the OECS are permitted to drive in St. Kitts and Nevis by acquiring a temporary driver’s license.


This, according to Head of the Traffic Department Carlene Phipps who was at the time sharing information on this week’s edition of “On the Road” on ZIZ Radio.


Inspector Phipps said a temporary driver’s license can lead to a permanent driver’s license but warned that these persons cannot drive using the driver’s license for their country of origin.


” All CARICOM members, you are permitted to obtain a temporary driver’s license; you can get a one year or three months. However, that temporary driver’s license could be upgraded. If you want to get the permanent license, you’ll just buy a receipt from the Inland Revenue and your instructor bring it to the Traffic Department and we will assist you thereon.”


“Also if you have three years of temporary driver’s license, it doesn’t matter if it is one year or three months, once it’s a month, three years and you have status in your passport, that is, if you are a resident or you have annual residency or work permit. Once you have your status is upgraded, we can upgrade that license and you can get your St. Kitts and Nevis driver’s license. However, you cannot drive on your driver’s license from your respective country.”


Speaking specifically as it relates to the 7 OECS countries which are part of CARICOM, Sergeant Sophia Henry said these persons do not need temporary licenses.


“We have, as the inspector said, seven OECS countries. They are St. Lucia, Dominica, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Those persons, once they’re here working legitimately, and they have overseas license from those countries… we also have three associates states, which are Anguilla, Montserrat and the British Virgin Islands. Once their driver’s license are valid, they can drive here. They don’t have to come to the department to obtain a temporary driver’s license. When it’s soon to be expired, you come to the Traffic Department with your passport, let us see your status in the country, also the driver’s license from overseas. then you’ll obtain apermanent license from sync it.”


Persons in good standing who wish to receive a St. Kitts and Nevis licence before their licence has expired can also do so by receiving a letter from the traffic department which will have to be taken to the Inland Revenue Department.


On the Road airs every Wednesday at 8:30 am on ZIZ Radio.


You might also like