Car accident kills four

Accident scene

ZIZ Newsroom, Basseterre, St.Kitts (October 9, 2010) – Four young men are dead following a car accident in Sandy Point.

At around 11pm on Friday night a crowd gathered in the street outside J’s Place while police officers inspected the scene.

The bodies of four young men lay in the road near the mangled remains of a car. According to reports the car was travelling west when it apparently struck a tree before coming to a halt about 50 feet away. Parts of the car were scattered across the road and even in a nearby tree.

Police officers from the Sandy Point Police Station, the Traffic Department and members of the police High Command were soon on the scene. According to a police report motor the vehicle P-297 was owned and driven by Maurice Rawlins 23 years old of Sandy Point.

The circumstances were that motor car P-297 was traveling from the direction of Basseterre towards Sandy Point via Halfway Tree along the island main road along with three (3) other passengers namely Dexter James 32 years, Damien Harris 23 years and Lacento Bradshaw 23 years all of Sandy Point.

As the car got into the vicinity of J’S Place at Romney Ground the driver collided to a large tree on the sea side of the road. As a result of the collision all four (4) occupants of the car suffered serious injuries and died on the scene.

The driver of the said car was found trapped inside the car and the other three (3) passengers were found outside the car. The Fire and Rescue Officers from the Sandy Fire and Rescue Station were summoned to the scene and rendered assistance to remove the trapped driver.

Then at approximately 11:18 pm the District Medical Officer Dr. Akin Oduntan arrived on the scene carried out his examinations and pronounced all four (4) occupants of the said car dead on the scene.

The motor car P-297 was also extensively damaged and measurements and other observations were recorded as well as the scene was processed by officers from the Crime Scene Department. The Coroner Mrs. Claudette Jenkins was informed and she gave permission for the bodies to be removed and so the bodies were subsequently removed under police escort to a funeral home.

Thereafter the wrecked car was towed to a secure police location. Investigations into this accident are ongoing.

You might also like