Department Of Sport Holds 10 Mile Road Relays, In Celebration Of 30th Anniversary Of Independence
Basseterre, St. Kitts, 29th August, 2013 — The first week of September is dubbed “National Health Sports and Fitness week”. The Department of Sport will host the first National Independence celebratory activity in the form of a ten-mile road relay on Sunday 1st September 2013. The relay will start in Sandy Point at the Anglican Church at 3:00pm travelling in an easterly direction via Old Road and culminate at the top corner of Church and Cayon Street by the Anglican Church.
The Ministry of education school buses will transport athletes to and from the event in Sandy Point as well as to the different relay stations. One coaster bus will leave the gas station at the bottom of Victoria Road/ top of Fort Street at 1:00pm and travel west via Buckley’s and the other will leave Bakers Corner at 1:00 and travel east via Cayon.
Persons desirous of competing must note the following:
- Registration is free and can be done through the Department of Sport via telephone (869) 466-1450 / (869) 662-2008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Timothy Morton.
- Each team will consist of ten (10) athletes, which must include five (5) males and five (5) females.
- There is no age restriction.
- All participants must run their respective leg of the relay according to the gender as stipulated in the exchange station zones.
- Each runner must receive the baton from his or her partner to begin his or her leg of the relay.
The exchange stations are as follows:
• STATION 1. START- Anglican Church, Sandy Point (females)
• STATION 2. Brimstone hill (males )
• STATION 3. Half Way Tree, water reservoir/dam (females)
• STATION 4. Lamberts Road (males)
• STATION 5. Wingfield Road (females
• STATION 6. Old Road Bay (males)
• STATION 7. Challengers Village (females)
• STATION 8. Boyds, shop opposite of church (males)
• STATION 9. Ross University (females)
• STATION 10. Buckleys, Neville’s (males)
Monetary prizes will be presented accordingly:
1ST PLACE – $1000.00
2ND PLACE- $750.00
3RD PLACE- $500.00