Labour Government increases national scholarships from two to six
|File photo of 2007 CFBC graduates|
BASSETERRE, ST. KITTS, SEPTEMBER 12TH 2012 (CUOPM) – The St. Kitts-Nevis Labour Party Administration of the Rt. Hon. Dr. Denzil L. Douglas has increased the opportunities for students to receive national scholarships.
Cabinet has approved a new National Scholarship Scheme and increased the number of recipients from two to six.
In response to the need to provide greater opportunity for tertiary level education, the Hon. Nigel Carty, Minister of Education, presented to the Cabinet of Ministers a new national scholarship scheme to Cabinet.
“Many of our young nationals have been able to benefit from scholarship opportunities in the Republic of China (Taiwan) and Cuba. The Commonwealth, OAS and other scholarship schemes have provided limited opportunity on a regionally competitive basis. Some students have been able to access partial scholarship and reduced tuition schemes at a number of universities in the United States,” said Minister Carty.
He pointed out that the State Scholarship and the TVET Scholarship have been to date the only two available to nationals.
“The government is strongly of the view that opportunities for academic self-advancement through scholarships must be expanded to expedite the development of our human capital,” said Minister Carty.
|Graduates of the CFBC with St. Kitts and Nevis’ Prime Minister the Rt. Hon. Dr. Denzil Douglas in the Parliamentary Lounge in this file photo. (Photos by Erasmus Williams)|
He said Cabinet under the Chairmanship of the Rt. Hon. Dr. Denzil L. Douglas has approved a national scholarship programme consisting of the following:
– The state scholarship to be awarded to the most outstanding student at the CFB College or the Charlestown Secondary School studying the Arts, Sciences or General Sciences
– The TVET scholarship to be awarded to the most outstanding student in the Technical, Vocational Education and Management Studies (TVEMS) Division of the College
– The runner-up state Scholarship
– The runner-up TVET Scholarship
– The Teacher Education Scholarship to be awarded to the most outstanding student from the Division of Teacher Education at the CFB College
– The Health Sciences Scholarship to be awarded to the most outstanding student in the Division of Health Sciences or Nursing programme at the CFB College.
He said varying maximum cash amounts will be made available for each of these scholarships.
The new national scholarship programme provides six scholarships directly funded by the Federal Government of St. Kitts and Nevis to assist outstanding students in continuing their studies at the tertiary level. The programme is consistent with government’s philosophy of empowerment of nationals through education.