NIA Responds to Commissioner’s Comments on Fire Investigation

Press Secretary to the Premier of Nevis and the Nevis Island Administration Mr. Mervin Hanley
Press Secretary to the Premier of Nevis and the Nevis Island Administration Mr. Mervin Hanley

ZIZ News — ZIZ’s recent interview with Police Commissioner Celvin Walwyn has caught the attention of the Nevis Island Administration which has since issued a statement responding to Commissioner Walwyn.

The controversy surrounds the findings of the second investigation into the January 17th fire that destroyed the NIA’s Treasury Office.

Advertisements

On Monday [May 12th], Commissioner Walwyn said he suggested to Nevis’ Premier, the Honourable Vance Amory that he wait to receive the findings of the first fire investigation before undertaking a second investigation. He also said it seemed that Premier Amory was “shopping for an arson outcome” to the fire.

Since then, the NIA’s Press Secretary Mervin Hanley said the NIA stands by the contents of the forensic fire report which they had received.

“It is a dangerous suggestion by the Commissioner of Police to say that this administration was shopping for an arson outcome to the fire. Only he can probably explain what he meant by that. This assertion attacks the integrity of this administration but also the integrity and the professionalism of the forensic team which undertook this investigation. Of course this was by retired Toronto Fire Chief, Chief Riches and his wife.

Hanley then suggested that Commissioner Walwyn was seeking to suppress the findings which were described as “troubling” but expressed hope that he and his team would capitalise on the new report and ensure that the arsonist is arrested.

He said, “The administration hopes that now a report from an expert has been obtained that the men and women of the Royal St. Christopher and Nevis Police Force will work tirelessly to bring the perpetrators of this heinous crime to justice.”

You might also like