Port-of-Spain, Trinidad CMC — All-rounder Dwayne Bravo has announced his retirement from Test cricket, after four years in the wilderness and just weeks after being sacked from the one-day squad.
The 31-year-old has played 40 Tests but had not suited up for West Indies since December 2010, when West Indies toured Sri Lanka.
He was recently axed as one-day captain and dropped from the team for the tour of South Africa and the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand next month.
In a statement late Friday, Bravo said he had already informed the West Indies Cricket Board of his decision to retire from Tests but said he had made clear his desire to continue playing One-Day Internationals and Twenty20s.
Over the years, with the greatest enthusiasm, I have done my best with the deep awareness that I am ultimately representing the people of the game,” Bravo said.
“I recognize that this is a difficult time for all of us. Our people of the region have seen and enjoyed great cricketing days but we will not return to glory until we agree to go forward with our love for the game and the respect of the administrators, players and the public.”
Bravo made his international debut back in 2004 in an ODI against England and developed into the region’s leading all-rounder at one stage
He came to be known for his effervescent medium pace and a brilliant outfielder, with a safe pair of hands, and effecting batting down the order.
Overall in Tests, he compiled 2200 runs at an average of 31 with three centuries – with a best of 113 against Australia in 2005.
He bagged 86 wickets at an average of nearly 40.
The Trinidadian was appointed captain of the ODI team in 2013, replacing Darren Sammy. He then played a key role as players’ spokesman on the controversial abandoned tour of India last October, where he frequently clashed with the West Indies Cricket Board and players union, WIPA.
He was subsequently dropped for the one-day tour of South Africa and the World Cup, prompting claims of victimization from several quarters