Discussions to move Jouvert out of Basseterre to begin

By Devonne Cornelius

Basseterre, St. Kitts, Jan 4, 2024 (ZIZ Newsroom): Ms. Shannon Hawley, Chairperson of the St. Kitts Nevis National Carnival Committee, says discussions with stakeholders will begin early to find a new route for the staging of Jouvert.

 

“That’s the intention…of starting the discussions very early with our stakeholders. We need a new home for Jouvert. Jouvert has definitely outgrown the streets of Basseterre…you see people complaining about bottlenecks but offering no constructive solution,” Ms. Hawley said on January 2, 2024, shortly after announcing Grand Carnival Parade results.

 

She added that “the only solution that can be is moving Jouvert either out of Basseterre or having Jouvert essentially set up similar to the Grand Parade.”

 

Ms. Hawley said that earlier requests for Jouvert to adopt a new way had been made and that she believes that adding a new route to Jouvert will benefit stakeholders such as revellers and vendors.

 

“Jouvert has at least 15,000 people downtown…we can’t continue with how it has been because it will continue to grow and if we want to grow our Carnival we have to ensure that our product is satisfactory to all of our stakeholders,” Ms. Hawley said.

 

Director of Carnival, Mr. Clement ‘Monarch’ O’Garro, made similar remarks and stated that he expects buy-in from the public, stakeholders, and support from Hon. Samal Duggins, Minister with responsibility for Carnival, and the government of St. Kitts and Nevis.

END

You might also like