Governor of Nigerian State of Akwa Ibom to visit St. Kitts and Nevis
|St. Kitts and Nevis’ Prime Minister the Rt. Hon. Dr. Denzil Douglas (left) take the salute as the National Anthem of St. Kitts and Nevis is played. His Excellency Chief Godswill Akpobio is right|
Basseterre, St. Kitts, September 17 2013 (CUOPM) – The Executive Governor of the State of Akwa Ibom, His Excellency Chief Godswill Akpobio is to visit the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis this week.
The visit coincides with the Federation’s 30th Anniversary of Independence.
Governor Godswill, will be accompanied by his wife and First Lady, Mrs. Ekaette Unoma Godswill Akpobio, Minister of Culture, His Excellency Mr. F.N. Nmadu, Deputy High Commissioner His Excellency Mr. O.K. Adebola and several officials.
Governor Godswill accepted the invitation of the Prime Minister of St. Kitts and Nevis, the Right Hon. Dr. Denzil L. Douglas during a visit that Prime Minister Douglas made to Akwa Ibom late last year during a visit to Abuja and Lagos, Nigeria.
While here Governor Godswill Akpobio will lunch with Prime Minister Douglas, attend the Independence Super Concert and Fire Works Display, the 30th anniversary Ceremonial Parade at Warner Park, the Governor General’s Reception, tour the Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park Independence Reception and visit Nevis.
|St. Kitts and Nevis’ Prime Minister the Rt. Hon. Dr. Denzil Douglas was guest of honour at a State Dinner hosted by His Excellency Chief Godswill Akpobio|
The Akwa Ibom State Governor and First Lady will also be special guests at a Dinner with His Excellency Sir Edmund Lawrence and Lady Lawrence.
Obong (Barr.) Godswill Obot Akpabio completed his primary education at Methodist Primary School, Ukana, where he obtained a Distinction in the First School Leaving Certificate Examination. He was admitted into the prestigious Federal Government College, Port Harcourt, Rivers State and thereat completed his WAEC and GCE A’ Levels.
Obong (Barr.) Godswill Obot Akpabio, attended the University of Calabar, Calabar, Cross River State, and the Nigeria Law School, Lagos. He graduated in law and was called to the Nigerian Bar. Akpabio embarked on Legal Practice during his National Youth Service Corps year in Lagos and has since remained in practice.
A devout Christian imbued with true greatness wrapped in simplicity and a strong, unshakable faith in the will of God.
He has undoubtedly, latched onto the indelible footsteps of his grandfather, late Okuku Udo Akpabio, 1st Warrant Chief in Ikot Ekpene province, his Uncle Late Dr. I. U. Akpabio, Minister of Education/Internal Affairs in the then Eastern Nigeria, and his cousin, Senator (Justice) Nsima Akpabio, of the Second Republic.
- He was General Senior Prefect at the Federal Government College, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
- Member NPN (National Party of Nigeria) and Personal Assistant to Senator Nsima Akpabio, 1983.
- Honourable Speaker of Parliament, Students’ Union Government, University of Calabar.
- Chairman, Arc. Victor Attah 2nd Term Rally and Mobilization Declaration Committee 2002 for Ikot Ekpene.
- Chairman, Obasanjo/Atiku Presidential Campaign Rally and Mobilization Committee in Akwa Ibom State 2003
- Chairman, Attah/Ekpenyong 2003 Campaign Rally and Mobilization Sub-committee.
- Youth Ambassador of Nigeria (by the National Youth Council of Nigeria).
- Most Outstanding Commissioner in Akwa Ibom State 2005.
- The prestigious “lberedem Ibibio” title.
- Holder of various other Chieftaincy titles such as Ukai Ibibio, Ibatai Iman Ibom, Obong Iberedem Ekid, Obong lfiok Ibesikpo, Obong Idorenyin Ini, Ubok Udom Ikot Ekpene, Adaha /tu, Ntanta Oro, Iberedem Nsit Alai, Itai Odoro Ikot, Ubok Udom Ukpum etc.
- AIT/Ray Power award for Excellence In Local Government Administration/Reforms in Nigeria.
- Man of the Year award at the Niger Delta Leadership Award (NDELA) These honours, expectedly, endeared him to the people, leading to general acceptability. A grassroots politician and a Patron of more than 178 Youth Organizations in Nigeria. A facilitator of Akwa Ibom State Chapter of National Coalition for the Continuity of Reforms Agenda (NCCRA) of Mr. President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR. A facilitator of Movement for National Accommodation and Continuity (MONACO), another organization committed to the sustainability of the Reforms Agenda of the present democratic dispensation.
- He started as a teacher in 1982 at Afaha Secondary School, Essien Udim Local Government Area.
- Associate Partner with the Firm of Paul Usoro & Co, Broad Street, Lagos.
- Director, Corporate Affairs/Legal Services, EMIS Telecoms 1995 ¬2002.
- Acting Managing Director/Chief Executive, EM IS Telecoms 2002
- Commissioner for Petroleum and Natural Resources, Akwa Ibom State 2002 – 2003.
- Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Akwa Ibom State 2003 – 2006.
- Commissioner for Lands and Housing, Akwa Ibom State, July, 2006. Through the years, Obong (Barr.) Godswill Obot Akpabio, has proven himself to be an astute administrator of both men and resources.
- In EMIS Telecoms Ltd, his contributions gave the company a staggering in-road into the industry’s market share at the time
- He turned around the fortunes of Local Governments in the State, settled huge outstanding salary arrears to staff of Local Government Areas.
- Assisted to settle huge debts left behind by past administrators of Local Government areas.
- Ensured prudent management of resources of Local Government Areas between 2003 and July 2006. In fact, Local Government Areas recorded more than 411 projects completed and ongoing.
- Akpabio brought justice to bear in the traditional institution by ensuring that custom and traditions in conformity with the law, formed the hallmark of selection of traditional rulers. He worked assiduously to bring peace to warring villages/ clans as more than 500 disputed cases in different villages/communities in the State were settled amicably.
- Akpabio disallowed Monetary and State influences in the selection of traditional rulers, such that only qualified and accepted candidates were presented to the Governor for certificate/recognition.
- Without discrimination, he rendered assistance to numerous Akwa Ibom citizens particularly the widows, youth and the less privileged.
- He grants scholarships to indigent students.
- In his community Ukana, he floated a Micro Credits Scheme to assist widows and also caters for the health needs of the needy.
- Working with Heads of Councils and the State/Local Government Joint Account Committee, brand new patrol vehicles were donated to Police Formations in the entire State, fitted with excellent communication gadgets, to enhance operations within the Local Government Areas.
|St. Kitts and Nevis’ Prime Minister the Rt. Hon. Dr. Denzil Douglas and His Excellency Chief Godswill Akpobio leave the Official Residences|
|Guard of Honour at the Governor’s Mansion|
|St. Kitts and Nevis’ Prime Minister the Rt. Hon. Dr. Denzil Douglas (left) is bade farewell by His Excellency Chief Godswill Akpobio at the airport|