Sixteen nationals have been named as recipients of Independence Honours in recognition of their service to the Nation.
Prime Minister Dr. the Hon Timothy Harris made the announcement during Monday morning’s ceremony to observe National Heroes Day.
According to a statement out of government house his Excellency the governor general Sir S.W. Tapley Seaton, GCMG, CVO, QC, JP, acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister, Dr. The Hon Timothy Harris graciously approves the following national awards to citizens of the Federation of St. Christopher and Nevis.
The Companion of the Star of Merit was awarded to
- Alphonso Barker for Business Entrepreneurship/Culture,
- Kenneth Kelly for Business Entrepreneurship,
- Alphonso Bridgewater for Sports Administration/Public Service,
- Creighton Pencheon for Culture,
- J. Calvin Fahie for Policing/Community Service,
- Elston “Ellie Matt” Nero for Musical Excellence locally, regionally, internationally,
- Sylvine Henry for Public Service/Community Service,
- Hilton Clarke for Education/Community Service,
- Adrian Lam for Musical Production/Community Service, and
- Ambassador Sydney Osborne for Education/Public Service.
The Medal of Honour has been awarded to
- Ellenita Nathaniel for Education/Community Service,
- Sylvester “King Socrates” Hodge for Calypso/Music,
- Walston “King Starshield” Shield for Calypso/Music,
- Jacqueline “Singing Jackie” Leader for Calypso/Music,
- Errol “King Arrow” Dolphin for Calypso/Music, and
- Loinel “Mansion Bull” Gumbs for Culture.
The individuals will receive their awards at a ceremony at Government House at a later date.