Ministry of National Security’s Engagement with At-Risk Groups Initiative Yielding Results
Basseterre, St. Kitts, July 10, 2019 (SKNIS): In an attempt to assist at-risk groups in communities throughout St. Kitts and Nevis, the Ministry of National Security has embarked on an initiative to engage the necessary groupings in the Federation.
Retired Major General Stewart Saunders, National Security Adviser in St. Kitts and Nevis, appeared on “Working for You” on July 10 and updated the public on the results of the initiative to date. The initiative commenced on March 13, 2019.
“Communities previously traumatized by gangs and gang induced violence have been living in peace and harmony. Persons have since experienced freedom of movement within and across the communities and the larger public spaces that were literally forbidden before we started this intervention. Persons previously at war with each other are learning the values of peaceful co-existence,” said Major General Saunders. “Some communities and persons have also embarked upon joint ventures for the betterment of themselves and families and communities.”
He noted that the initiative caters to everyone, whether directly or indirectly.
[Victims of violence] “have not been left out of the equation. They are in fact part and parcel. All of the project and plans for assistance will encompass everyone. All of these groupings, whether at-risk youth, marginalized and traumatized victims are able to apply just like anyone else because healing to take place,” said the Major.
Major General Saunders said that the government remains committed to ensuring that these group of persons are safe.
“We are committed to continue to work with these groups and the traumatized victims and all other marginalized persons for the betterment of the safety, security and economic stability of the Federation,” he said. “We acknowledge that there is a far way to go but like every journey, especially like the one that is chartered for the first time, it starts with a first step…”