Minute women Split Set with College of Charleston, Samford
Charleston, S.C. — The University of Massachusetts tennis program split its opening two matches at the College of Charleston’s Patriots Point Tennis Center with a 4-3 loss to Samford on Tuesday, March 17 and a 4-3 victory over the host-Cougars on Wednesday, March 18. The Minute women continue play at the Patriots Point Tennis Center on Thursday, March 19 with a match against Atlantic 10 Conference newcomer Davidson at 2 p.m.
Samford 4, Massachusetts 3; Tuesday, March 17
The Minute women dropped the doubles point against Samford before they bounced back with wins at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 singles. The No. 1 duo of Ana Yrazusta and Carol Benito and the No. 3 pairing of Chanel Glasper and Anna Woosley each fell by 8-6 margins to the Bulldogs while No. 2 Arielle Griffin and Aarzoo Malik dropped an 8-3 match.
However, the Minute women rebounded in singles. After Malik faltered 6-0, 6-3 at No. 1, Yrazusta, Griffin and Benito earned wins at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, to put Massachusetts in the lead, 3-2, going into No. 5 singles. The Bulldogs responded with wins over Woosley 6-4, 6-4 and Glasper 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5 and No. 6 to earn the team victory.
1. N’Tcha-Ebada (SAM) def. Yrazusta-Benito (UM) 8-6
2. Ebada-Northcut (SAM) def. Griffin-Malik (UM) 8-3
3. Wood-Lyon (SAM) def. Glasper-Woosley (UM) 8-6
1. N’Tcha (SAM) def. Malik (UM) 6-0 6-3
2. Yrazusta (UM) def. Ebada (SAM) 6-1 7-5
3. Griffin (UM) def. Northcut (SAM) 6-3 6-3
4. Benito (UM) def. Moolman (SAM) 7-6 4-6 (10-6)
5. Parapunova (SAM) def. Woosley (UM) 6-4 6-4
6. Wood (SAM) def. Glasper (UM) 6-2 6-1
NB: Arielle Griffin is the daughter of Nevisians Venette James and Sylvester Griffin.