Charlottesville, Va. — For the fourth consecutive year, the UMass women’s tennis team has earned a berth to the Atlantic 10 Championship Semifinals after the Minute women defeated Duquesne 4-1 on Friday afternoon at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. No. 3 seed UMass will face No. 2 seed Richmond on Saturday at 1:30 PM. The winner will face either No. 1 seed VCU or No. 5 seed Fordham on Sunday for the A-10 Championship and a berth to the NCAA Tournament.
In Friday’s win, UMass (16-4) took an early 1-0 lead after once again winning the doubles point. Ana Yrazusta and Carol Benito extended their school-record win total (26) with an 8-2 victory at No. 1 doubles.
Both matches at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles were decided by a point. The team point was finally won by Chanel Glasper and Anna Woosley who took an 8-7 victory.
Woosley then gave UMass a 2-0 lead when she won at No. 5 singles in straight sets (6-1, 6-0). Duquesne got on the board with a win at No. 1 singles, but Glasper’s win at No. 6 singles put the Minute women up 3-1. The win extended her UMass program record for career victories with 77.
That set up Yrazusta to posted the match-winning point at No. 2 singles for the second consecutive day. After a quick 6-1 win in her opening set, she pulled out a hard-fought second set 7-5 win to secure the win.
Match #10 • Friday, April 17, 2015 • Boar’s Head Sports Club
#3 MASSACHUSETTS DEF. #6 DUQUESNE, 4-1
1. Kyle Isaacs (DUQ) def. Aarzoo Malik (UM) 6-1, 6-1
2. Ana Yrazusta (UM) def. Alexa Miller (DUQ) 6-1, 7-5
3. Maddy Adams (DUQ) vs. Arielle Griffin (UM) 6-4, 5-2, DNF
4. Carol Benito (UM) vs. Spencer Caravaggio 6-3, 4-1, DNF
5. Anna Woosley (UM) def. Ally Miller (DUQ) 6-1, 6-0
6. Chanel Glasper (UM) def. Megan Wasson (DUQ) 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 6, 2
2. Aarzoo Malik/Arielle Griffin (UM) def. Chandler Consonery/Alexa Miller (DUQ), 8-7(5)
3. Chanel Glasper/Anna Woosley (UM) def. Megan Wasson/Zuzanna Stelmaszak (DUQ), 8-7(6)
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
N.B. Arielle Griffin is the daughter of Venette James and Sylvester Griffin from Nevis.