St John’s, Antigua — The Board of Directors of the West Indies Cricket Board met in Antigua on Saturday, January 10, 2015. The Board deliberated on a number of matters including cricketing, governance, developmental, commercial and financial.
Significantly the Board of Directors adopted the recommendations of the Michael Gordon QC-chaired Task Force which examined matters leading to the premature end of the tour of India.
1. Task Force Report
The Board adopted the recommendations of the report as follows:
- The WICB will plan a team building activity in the first week of April, prior to the start of the England tour of the Caribbean. This activity will be geared towards building greater understanding and trust among the players, the Board of Directors and the WICB management.
- The Team Manager is the designated head of the West Indies Team delegation and reports to the Chief Executive Officer. The Head Coach is responsible for team performance.
- The players will be issued with Match/Tour contracts at least three weeks prior to departure for/start of a series.
- The WICB will pursue engaging the services of a Sports Psychologist for the West Indies Senior Team. The WICB will also pursue engaging the services of a Mental Skills Coach at the developmental levels.
- The WICB will develop a Players Handbook which will be issued to all players. The handbook will outline responsibilities, expectations, protocols, standards and matters of general conduct.
The Board of Directors thanked Mr. Gordon, Sir Wes Hall and Sir Richard Cheltenham for their thorough and extensive work on the Task Force.
2. Following the application process the WICB has finalized a shortlist of seven candidates for the position of Head Coach of the West Indies Team. The Board received a status report on the process. Preliminary interviews are being conducted and the intention is to have the position filled after the Cricket World Cup. Until such time Stuart Williams will continue to function in the position of Coaching Coordinator with the West Indies Team.
3. The Board reviewed the Patterson and Wilkin reports on governance and made various recommendations for the adoption of systems to improve the governance structure. Discussions are ongoing.
4. The Board approved a new policy for enhanced player care. See separate media release below for full details.
List of Board of Directors of the WICB
Whycliffe ‘Dave’ Cameron – President
Hon. Emmanuel Nanthan – Vice President
Joel Garner – President, Barbados Cricket Association
Deighton Smith – First Vice President, Barbados Cricket Association
Anand Sanasie – Secretary, Guyana Cricket Board
Anand Kalladeen – Treasurer, Guyana Cricket Board
Billy Heaven – President, Jamaica Cricket Association
Dr. Donovan Bennett – First Vice President, Jamaica Cricket Association
Auckland Hector – President, Leeward Island Cricket Association
Enoch Lewis – Leeward Islands Cricket Association
Azim Bassarath – President, Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board
Baldath Mahabir – Executive Member, Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board
Elson Crick – Vice President, Windward Islands Cricket Board of Control
Julian Charles – Director, Windward Islands Cricket Board of Control
Clifford Reis (non-member director, Chairman and Managing Director, Banks DIH Ltd)
Jennifer Nero (non-member director, Managing Director, Eastern Caribbean Central Bank)
Hon. Ricky Skerritt (non-member director, Minister of International Trade, Industry Commerce and Consumer Affairs)
Don Wehby (non-member director, CEO Grace Kennedy Ltd)